AIR Forum 97 Electronic Papers
This page contains copies of the papers submitted for the AIR 97 Forum.
Papers are organized by AIR Track. All papers included on the
disk provided to individuals who attended the Orlando Forum are dated 7
Papers that were received after the disk was created are marked
with the date the paper was placed on the web.
The Track titled 'Extras'
contains Track 8 papers and two Plenary Sessions (Keller and Kells).
We have provided a readme
file with information on the document types.
This page contains information which was last updated:
30 July 1997
||Enrollment Managment and Student Affairs
||Institutional Effectiveness, Student Learning,
and Outcomes Assessment
||Academic Program and Faculty Issues
||Resource Management and Quality Improvement
||Policy Analysis, Planning, and Governance
||Theory, Practice, and Ethics of Institutional Research
||Technology and Tools for Institutional Research
||Best Papers and Plenary Sessions
- TRACK1/12-111 (DOC/6) [2 June 1997]
Sadler, Cohen, & Kockesen, "Factors Affecting Retention Behavior:
A Model to Predict At-Risk Students."
- TRACK1/12-149 (HTML) [30 July 1997]
McLaughlin, Brozovsky, & McLaughlin, "Strategies in Retention Research."
- TRACK1/16-117 (TXT) [7 May 1997]
Cheng & Bryant, "The Effects of Financial Aid on First-Time
College Attendance Decisions."
- TRACK1/18-118 (DOC/6) [2 June 1997]
Lanni, "Modeling Student Outcomes: A Longitudinal Study."
- TRACK1/17-151 (TXT, PPT/5) [7 May 1997]
Burrelli, "Trends and Influences on Graduate Science and
Engineering Enrollment: 1975-1995."
- TRACK1/18-138 (WPD) [14 May 1997]
Voorhees & Zhou, "Demographic Profiles: Segmenting Student Intent
at the Community College."
- TRACK1/18-155 (WPD/6) [2 June 1997]
Auerbach & Hand, "Student Satisfaction Surveys: Does Question Order
- TRACK1/22-107 (WD2) [7 May 1997]
Walleri, Stoker, & Stoering, "Building a Community of Learning:
A Comprehensive Approach to Assisting At-risk Students."
- TRACK1/25-144 (WPD/6) [7 May 1997]
Manion, Goldberg, & Zanzig, "Quantifying Spirituality: Developing
an Instrument for Assessment of Spiritual Growth."
- TRACK1/26-105 (DOC/7) [7 May 1997]
Morley, Contrasting First-Year Experiences of Academically
Average Students of Varying Racial/Ethnic Backgrounds."
- TRACK1/33-119 (DOC/6) [7 May 1997]
Tsui, Murdock, & Mayer, "Trend Analysis and Enrollment
- TRACK1/36-103 (WP5) [7 May 1997]
Walters, "Is This the College For Me? The Campus Visit as Seen
by the Student and Parent."
- TRACK2/13-275 (WD2) [7 May 1997]
Bolt & Roberts, "What are Performance Indicators and Can They Be
Used to Manage Colleges? A Comparative Study of Similar Colleges
in the US and the UK."
- TRACK2/16-215 (WPD/6, XLS) [7 May 1997]
Pitter, Lanham, & McGalliard, "Licensure Examination Results as
Outcomes Indicators: Issues and Challenges."
- TRACK2/22-203 (WP5) [2 June 1997]
Johnson, "Developing a Research Tryptic-Assessment, Outcomes
Measurement and Attrition."
- TRACK2/22-282 (DOC/6) [7 May 1997]
Furlong, "Between Anecdote and Science: Using E-Mail to Learn
About Student Experiences."
- TRACK2/22D-247 (DOC/6) [7 May 1997]
Johnson, "The Flashlight Project: Developing tools for Local
Evaluation of Educational Uses of Technology."
- TRACK2/23-212 (DOC/6) [2 June 1997]
Ricks, Bach, & Stoering, "Student Transfer Flow and Outcomes Between
Community Colleges and a University Within an Urban Environment."
- TRACK2/23-273 (DOC/6) [7 May 1997]
Belcher & Michener, "Dimensions of Retention: Findings from
Quantitative and Qualitative Approaches."
- TRACK2/32-218 (WP5) [2 June 1997]
Hickman & Quinley, "A Synthesis of Selected Local, State, and
National Studies in Workforce Education and Training."
- TRACK2/36-269 (DOC/6, XLS) [7 May 1997]
Widlak, "Graduates Who Never Planned to Graduate: A Community
College Impact on Student Aspirations."
- TRACK2/38-266 (RTF) [7 May 1997]
Ratcliff, Arkin, & Dove, "A Method for Assessing Undergraduate
- TRACK3/15-308 (PPT/5) [7 May 1997]
Starrfield, "Field Testing Curricula"
- TRACK3/18-322 (DOC/6, TXT, WP5) [7 May 1997]
Jonas & Weimer, "Do Part-Time Faculty Fully Understand the Values
of an Institution? If Not, What Can Be Done About It?"
- TRACK3/23-303 (DOC/6) [2 June 1997]
Delaney, "An Interprofessional Evaluation Case Study: Utilizing
Multiple Measures to Assess What Matters."
- TRACK3/27-307 (DOC/?, RTF) [7 May 1997]
Bruwer, "The Graduate Employment Paradigm: Outcomes Assessment.
Perspectives From a Third World Country."
- TRACK3/36-301 (DOC/6, XLS) [7 May 1997]
Hagedorn & Fogel, "Wage Equity Among Medical School Faculty:
An Analysis By Gender."
- TRACK4/12D-422 (WP5) [14 May 1997]
Cappon & Bekink, "Performance Indicators in Management Practice:
A Demonstratrion of a Performance Scoreboard in a Teaching Hospital."
- TRACK4/15-407 (DOC/7, TXT) [2 June 1997]
Snowdon & Bowman, "Quiet Please: Indicators at Work."
- TRACK4/16-413 (RTF) [2 June 1997]
Moloney & Grotevant, "Collegiate and Departmental Indicators: The
Measures That Matter!"
- TRACK4/17-423 (DOC/6) [7 May 1997]
Lima, "A Case Study of Selective Funding of Research in the
United Kingdom Through Assessment of Some University Indicators
(1990/91 to 1992/93)."
- TRACK4/26-412 (DOC/6) [14 May 1997]
Parchert, "So, You Need to Develop an Academic Department Profile:
A Conceptual Framework for Development."
- TRACK4/26-416 (DOC/6) [3 June 1997]
Blanchard & Malmberg, "In the Corporate Eye: A Case Study of
Institutional Advancement Joining with Business AdministrationTo
Measure Corporate Perceptions of Program Value."
- TRACK4/32-414 (DOC/7, XLS) [7 May 1997]
Zeglen & Marmaduke, "Performance Assessment as a Vehicle for
Promoting Institutional Change: A Case Study."
- TRACK4/33-417 (DOC/7) [3 June 1997]
Patrick & Stanley, "Teaching and Research Quality Indicators and the
Shaping of Higher Education."
- TRACK5/13-503 (DOC/6) [7 May 1997]
Smart & Cameron, "Maintaining Effectiveness Amid Downsizing and
Decline in Institutions of Higher Education."
- TRACK5/13-516(WPD/6, WK4) [7 May 1997]
Eimers & Mullen, "Understanding Transfer Student Success:
Implications for Policy at a Multi-Campus University."
- TRACK5/26-532 (DOC/6, XLS) [3 June 1997]
Zhao & Dean, "Selecting Peer Institutions: A Hybrid Approach."
- TRACK5/28-508 (DOC/6, PPT/5, PRS) [7 May 1997]
Sugarman & Kelly, "An Analysis of Student Time and Credits to
- TRACK5/32-506 (WPD/6, WP5, XLS) [7 May 1997]
Haska, Snyder, & Heffernan, "Doctoral Program Quality Among
Public Universities: Considerations and Implications."
- TRACK5/32D-522(DOC/6, PPT, XLS, CLW) [7 May 1997]
Neukomm, "Feed Back Processes to Support Management Decisions in
the University Environment."
- TRACK5/37-518 (RTF, GIF) [7 May 1997]
Brodnick & Kraft, "Chaos and Complexity Theory: Implications
for Research and Planning in Higher Education."
- TRACK6/33-606 (WPD) [14 May 1997]
Moore & Knight, "Sorting Through the Performance Indicators:
A Model For Institutional Research."
- TRACK6/36-604 (WPD/6) [3 June 1997]
Patrick & Fletcher, "Using Video to Maximize the Impact of
Qualitative Institutional Research."
- TRACK7/13-723 (WPD/6,PM5) [3 June 1997]
Guerin, "Tracking Student Stop-Out, Transfer and Graduation: An
Event History Analysis of Competing Risks."
- TRACK7/25-720 (HTML,PDF) [3 July 1997]
Daly & Phagan, "Using the World Wide Web for Student Surveys."
- TRACK7/26-705 (WP5) [7 May 1997]
Conklin, "Telephone Survey Research: An Overview."
- TRACK7/26-716 (DOC/7) [2 June 1997]
Desjardins, "Using Event History Methods to Model the Different
Modes of Student Departure from College."
- TRACK7/33-722 (WP5) [3 June 1997]
Antons, Fultz, & Dilla, "Assessing Student Attitudes: Computer
Versus Pencil-and-Paper Administration."
- EXTRA/11-801 (HTML) [19 November 1997]
Forgione, "A Vision of Information-Based Decision-Making."
- EXTRA/17-850 (WP5) [7 May 1997]
Clarke, "What Should Drive Educational Equity and Student
Diversity in Australian Higher Education? Social Responsibility
Versus Reporting Obligation." [Australasain AIR Best Paper]
- EXTRA/18-852 (DOC/7) [2 June 1997]
Desjardins & Pontiff, "Tracking University of Minnesota-Twin
[1996-97 Best Presentation: Association for
Institutional Research of the Upper Midwest]
- EXTRA/27-858 (DOC/6) [7 May 1997]
Olsen, "Grade Inflation: Reality or Myth? Student Preparation
Level vs. Grades at Brigham Young University 1975-1994."
[1996-97 Best Presentation: Rocky Mountain Association for
- EXTRA/28-859 (DOC/6, XLS) [7 May 1997]
Xiao, "Using Discrete-Time Survival Analysis to Examine Time to
Master of Science Degree Attainment."
[1996-97 Best Presentation: Illinois Association for
- EXTRA/31-802 (DOC/6) [2 June 1997]
Plenary Session: H. R. Kells,
"The Concept of Performance Indicators: An International Perspective."
- EXTRA/32D-815 (DOC/6,DOC/7) [10 June 1997]
Voorhees, et al.,
"AIR Publications: Resources, Obstacles and Opportunities."
- EXTRA/36-880 (WPD/6, WP5, WB1, TXT) [7 May 1997]
Tamada & Inman, "Survival Analysis of Faculty Retention Data:
How Long Do They Stay?"
[1996-97 Best Presentation: California Association for
- EXTRA/37-862 (DOC/6) [3 June 1997]
Quinley & Barber, "National Workforce Development Study."
[1996-97 Best Presentation: Southeastern Association for Community
- EXTRA/79-800 (DOC/7) [2 June 1997]
Opening Plenary Address: George Keller,
"The Future Isn't What It Used To Be."
- TRACK10/10-997-6 (WPD/6) [3 June 1997]
Windham, "High School and Community College Dual Enrollment:
Issues of Rigor and Transferability."